How well do you know your city or hometown? We all have our favorite hangout places. If anyone asks for directions we usually know the way, but how much do you really know about the place you live in? When visiting other countries we are spending time looking, tasting and discovering the beauty of that place. We are checking latest reviews and to-do lists, but when it comes to our home town we are generally very clueless about what it has to offer. Let's change all that!
After December's hustle and bustle, January usually gives little excitement in our lives. Its the perfect moment to do things we usually don't have time for. Here are a few ideas to help you to discover all there is to know, see and do in your place of residence.
1. Let’s start with an easy one. Visit three new potential hangout places. Look for unusual coffeehouses or new cafes where you can lounge for days on end.
2. Time for some fresh air. Instead of taking the same route to the store or to visit your friends take the 'sightseeing' route. Better yet, partake in an official walking tour with a tourist organization. Many cities offer free walking tours. Who knows what you will learn while taking a walk through town.
3. Today is all about looking up and around. Have you noticed all the interesting architectural structures? Get your camera ready and let’s go find remarkable graffiti, historical buildings or beautiful landmarks.
4. Check out your local paper for interesting events or upcoming concerts by local bands. Have you heard or read a review of museums or galleries but haven't got the chance to visit yet? This is the moment to do it.
5. We all notice statues and monuments when we visit an unknown place. What about the statue you pass by a dozen times on your way to the shops? Do you know who that bronze figure is? Any clue why it's there? Google it or ask someone who might know. You may be surprised to learn something new.
6. Speaking of learning, why not read up on your towns’ history? Go to the library or Google to your heart’s content. Learn more about the origin of your town, the historical figures whom lived in your region and so on.
7. Every place has an iconic landmark, city skyline, monument or traditional dish. Every tourist wants a picture of this particular place or meal. Now it's your turn to take that over the top cheesy selfie. Go ahead. You know you want to.
8. It is time to find those hidden gems. Ask your neighbors, friends, relative or coworkers what their favorite secret places are. The places the other tourists haven't discovered yet. A secret park, a little bistro with traditional foods, art house or shop that you can add to your own list of little hidden gems.
9. If anyone asks you where to go in your city you probably have a list of places you would recommend. How many of these places have you actually visited yourself? The mandatory fieldtrips in high school do NOT count. So what are you waiting for? Go check them out!
10. What is your favorite outdoor place in the city? Get yourself a warm beverage to go and spend an hour or two simply enjoying the atmosphere.
Have fun exploring your home base, send us your cheesy pictures or leave a comment below, we would love to hear about your adventures.
With love, Ana